Monday, April 11, 2011

"Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship." Buddha ♥

Hello Everyone!

Well, I've been in my village for over a week now and I am doing great over here. I live in a town with about 2,000 people near the large city of Vratsa. Every day I wake up to the sounds of roosters cock-a-doodle doing and the sound of the cows being milked. I live on a large property of land. I have a mother who is 68 and takes such good care of me. She makes me a memory tea in the morning and I put honey and lemon in it. I then have a nice breakfast and usually get fruits! There are also relatives who live on the property. There is an older couple, their son and his wife and their 16 year old son. I see them everyday and everyone treats me so kindly!

In the morning I head to my language class for about 4 hours. There are three other volunteers; two girls and one male. So far we are getting along great and I love spending time with all of them. After language I then head home and have lunch with my mother. She makes fresh bread several times a week which is so delicious! I have a cucumber, lettuce, tomato and parsely salad almost everyday and it is delicious. I also eat meatballs called quetefta. Meals vary. They consist of beans, meats, vegetables and spices. Thus far, I really like everything.

After lunch I usually try and take a little rest before starting the afternoon activities. Usually I will study language or work on community assignments. There is little room for play as I will be in training until June 10th. My goal is to grasp the basic concepts of the language in order to expand on it when I head to my permanent site.

I really don't have too much else to say except that I love my village and enjoy the culture. It is a farm village so I see many animals on a daily basis! I have been able to take several long walks around the countryside which is beautiful.

Take care everybody and feel free to ask questions or add comments!

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Jo-
    I'm so happy to hear that everything is going so well! (Especially about the good food, lol) love reading about everything, miss you!
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a blast! Great to hear your updates. Hope everything continues to go as smoothly as it has been so far. Miss you and love you.
    -Alison

    ReplyDelete