Monday, May 16, 2011

“Warriors take chances. Like everyone else, they fear failing, but they refuse to let fear control them” Japanese Proverb

I hope this message finds everyone doing well wherever they may be! It’s been an intense past couple of weeks. Our focus has been studying language and preparing for our permanent site. Language is of course tough but it’s so rewarding when different pieces of the language puzzle fit together. Several weeks ago we worked on a project for the local Chitalishte (youth center). We named it, “Holiday for Kids!” We planned relay races, skits and dancing for an entire afternoon. We had a turnout of about 30+ kids which is awesome for my tiny village!
Last Thursday we all headed to a larger town called Vratsa an awaited our site placement. Being in the Youth Development Program I really had no idea what I would be doing – only that I’d be working with youth. We started the morning with a session and then proceeded to our normal meeting place where a map of Bulgaria was outlined in tape with the names of where we would be placed on the map. One by one our names were called and we stood on our city. I’m in a medium sized city about an hour away from the capital city and a just a short distance from the most famous ski resort in Bulgaria. Volunteers were placed throughout the entire country and some were placed near each other while others will be isolated and hiding in the mountains! There are several volunteers who are so close to Greece they can just walk!
When I arrived at site the first thing to do was see my apartment. Since a previous volunteer had lived here it is completely furnished. I was excited when I saw the hot pink blanket on my bed and orange walls. Do they know me? While I had no idea what to expect, what I have is a lot more than I thought! I have a fully furnished kitchen, a living/bedroom and a huge bathroom! My apartment is surrounded by stores, cafes and restaurants. Since there are numerous apartments around me there are also parks with kids playing all the time. If I ever get bored I know I can bring a Frisbee and have a laugh with the kids! I was then able to have a walking tour of my city. There are so many things here! Sports center, schools, shopping – even a mall, knick knack stores and so many restaurants! The center was also amazing with an old drinking fountain from the Ottoman Empire. The water is fresh flowing spring water straight from the mountains. It is beautiful! After a small break in my apartment I went to dinner with my counterpart, landlord, director and one of their friends. They are amazing women who have a good sense of humor. They are all single and their motto is, “no men – no problems!” How true is that?! For dessert I had delicious apple pie. I kept telling the women that I will get fat because of all the delicious food here!
Monday was a very busy day as well. I spent the morning with one of the women and we saw the Post Office, Police Station, a bank and a history museum. An interesting fact about my city is the extreme amount of history it holds! During the 14-18th Centuries my city was famous for their iron production. It was the first in Bulgaria. They made anchors, cannon balls, etc… for the army during the wars.
Second was the homespun production in the 19th century. My city is famous for all their silk materials and designs. They would use a paint made out of grass to embed patterns on fabric. An interesting fact is that after someone was ready for the day all the mirrors would be covered. Old tradition said you weren’t supposed to look at yourself during the day. Once you were ready that was it. During this period and on all the women wore fancy dresses – city women! During this time my city was a rather large business center and many rich people owned businesses here. Because they were rich they’d often travel and bring fabrics from all over Europe, specifically Italy, France, Serbia, Albania, Hungary and Turkey.
Third was the jewelry trade. Many precious stones were brought from Greece and exquisite jewelry was made. The stones were polished, cut and made into jewelry. The stones mainly came from Mount Atos in Greece. This area is home to twenty monasteries where even today, only men are allowed. For some of these monasteries, the only means to arrive is through water travel.
Fourth was the goldsmith’s trade and also, my city is home to the first glass factory in Bulgaria.
Fifth was the coppersmith’s trade. If I gathered correctly, the coppersmith trade was brought in by the Turks when they ruled the land. They made bowls, cups, flasks, cans, etc… After liberation from the Turks (1877-1878) the imprint of St. George was used on the copper items. This was important because St. George is a Christian Saint and the Turks were Muslim.
6th was the pottery trade. It was amazing to see all the different pottery that was made! One of the pitchers had a Turkish influence and looks like a duck. Another was a special pitcher used during wedding celebrations. The pitcher I found the most interesting had twelve holes but only one worked! I asked why and the reason is just for fun. No symbolism, just for fun! This trade had your typical pottery shapes and colors that would match the region. I saw greens, some red and even some oranges. The coloring was very clear. It was beautiful.
Another interesting fact about my city is that it is home to something very important – the first printing press in Bulgaria! It was a huge printing press and the metal letters were so tiny. The first original Bulgarian books were made my city. Also, the first Bulgarian magazine was created here. While it was published in Greece, it was written by Izmir in my city. Another neat fact is that the American College was opened and working from 1871-1929 here. Now its home is in Sofia, but it did not start there.
I’m sure you’re all wondering where I’ll be working for the next two years. I will be at an NGO placed in an all Roma school working with Roma youth. The majority of the kids are male. This is because in Roma culture girls get married at a very, very young age. The average age is around 13-15 years old. Because parents don’t want their girls to get snatched they are pulled out of school and stay at home. Roma people face a lot of hardships in their everyday life. They live in a Mahala (meaning ghetto) that is right outside of the city. Tomorrow I will take a walk with my director and see what the Mahala looks like.
That is all the information I am going to write for now. I will update more frequently when I have regular internet access. Wonderful wishes to all and take care!
 <3 Johanna

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, Jo. It sounds like your city is wonderful! And you sound very happy with your assignment as well. Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete