Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Keep your faith in beautiful things; in the sun when it is hidden, in the Spring when it is gone." - Roy R. Gibson

Zdrasti!
I hope this posting finds you and yours enjoying this fabulous New Year and recovering from a successful holiday season with only smiles on your faces. As for me, I've been away on holiday to Paris, Edinburgh and London for 16 days over Christmas and New Years with one of my good friends! It was a much needed vacation and an unforgettable experience. Scotland was by far my favorite due to the people, culture, history and landscape. I definitely recommend a trip to the highlands to see Loch Ness and if you haven't tried haggis, to give it a go. 
I love the Beatles. <3
Highlight of Paris was going to mass at the Notre Dame


On our highlands tour to go and see the Lochness Monster!


So it's time to start back up at work here in Bulgaria. This has been a tad difficult as the winter here has been a bitter, bitter one. I live about 3,000 feet up and it is cold. We have been suffering through blizzards and now cold so extreme that it has become deathly. Kids aren't coming to school because it's too cold to leave the house and many do not have proper winter gear. I often wonder to myself how much education is being lost due to lack of attendance, shortened days, etc... However, this is life when it is bitter cold and it takes all you have to make it through the day! 




The other day I went to the kindergarten to continue working on the seasons and months of the year only to find two of my students in attendance! Since it was a 'free day' kids from the other classes were allowed to come see who this strange girl is that speaks a different language. Below you will find some curious faces!


Despite the cold, snow and lack of attendance 'Svetlina' has been keeping me busy! When I was in Scotland I met this fellow traveler who is exploring Europe (currently is visiting her 19th country in 5 months). I told her to come on over to Bulgaria and see what Bulgarian life is all about! As she is a drama teacher she was more than happy to help with my current project of producing a world map on one of the walls of the computer lab. Below is a progression of this project: 
First step: paint the ocean
Second step: outline all the countries
Third step: PAINT!


Almost finished...putting clear paint on over the map and wall
The other thing on my mind has been completing the Peace Corps grant to get funding for our 6th annual summer camp on the Black Sea! The grant is completed and we are currently looking for funding. If anyone is interested in contributing email me at hauck.johanna@gmail.com and we'll keep in touch. 


You may be wondering how on earth I am getting through these winter months? I am fortunate enough to live next to the largest ski resort in Bulgaria where there are English speakers all winter long. It's been refreshing listening to American music and speaking English! I must say, things would be a lot different if it weren't for Anne (the American basketball player) as we hang out several times a week and have developed a fantastic support system. So yes, March will soon be here and the flowers will blossom. Until then, stay warm and healthy.
Anne and I surviving the cold!

2 comments:

  1. Life looks busy for you and you seem to be loving it. Good on you! Wondering how you traveled in England and Scotland...train? Thanks for giving me a glimpse into life on the other side of our globe. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traveled from Paris to Edinburgh via plane and then we took a night bus to London from Scotland. However, I would NOT recommend taking a 10 hour night bus. We felt absolutely jet lagged by the time we got to London. It's better spend a few extra quid for a plane ride or train. Next time! I am pleased you enjoy reading about my adventures!

      Delete