Thursday, August 11, 2011

"When you walk, just walk. When you eat, just eat" - Buddha

Greetings from Bulgaria!
It is with an apology that it’s taken me so long to write another blog. However, I need to have some stuff to talk about, don’t I?!
I’ve been at my site now for about two months. Everyday has had something new to offer. Whether it be working at my organization or hanging out with one of my closest friends/sitemate (she now has left after completing her service…sad!).
For the last two weeks I was busy in a resort town called Kiten where my organization has their annual beach camp. There were 26 kids and 10 adults. I was fortunate enough to have another volunteer come with me and we had so much fun.The kids look forward to this every year and it was a great experience. It started with a seven hour bus ride (claiming they had A.C….nope) to the other side of the country. Our hotel was nice and comfortable. Every morning I would wake up to the sound of the Black Sea waves and it was so pleasant.
This was the first time I was able to meet many of my kids. I will be working with Roma teenagers. It was so great that I was able to meet them through fun in the sun because everyone was relaxed, no homework, just kids being kids. Our schedule consisted of waking up every morning at seven and then having morning fitness exercises. Following that we had breakfast and headed to the Black Sea for a couple hours. At the sea we played games, laid out and swam in the sea. After our first sea trip we would head back to the hotel, have lunch and then have a two hour rest session. Every day I NEEDED to take a nap. It was tiring speaking Bulgarian so much and being so busy! After the rest there were educational activities (drama, alcohol education, motivation for school, puzzles, etc…). For the next couple of hours we would head back to the beach and do beach activities (bury each other, sandcastles, etc…) and swim.
After dinner sometimes we would do structured activities but for the most part we danced horo (local Bulgarian dance) and cucheck (Roma dance). One night we had a talent show and almost all the kids participated. Some danced in groups, other sang and some did a skit. The other volunteer and I did the Cupid Shuffle and Macarena dance with one of the older boys. It was fun! There were six girls who dressed up in local costumes and did two special dances. Well, the next day we met a camp with 400 people here from Russia and they were having a show the following night. My girls opened up their show with the Bulgarian dance! They did excellent and I was so proud of them!
So now I am back in my site and am gearing up for when school starts in a couple weeks. I will be teaching English, working in a kindergarten and I will also be at my organization every day after school. Hopefully I will stay very busy!
I hope all is week across the seas wherever you may be. Stay healthy and happy!

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Camp sounds like you had fun with the kids. And the Black Sea looks beautiful. (I saw your pix on Facebook) Will Dad and I visit there when we see you next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw the facebook pix and wondered how you lucked out and got to hang out at the beach! Harri is still asking about your trip to Puerto Rico and Bulgaria. He also thinks you are somehow in California. I'll watch for you on Skype!

    ReplyDelete